Friday, March 6, 2009

One day I'll go shopping alone.

I've never been the kind of person who frequents in doing things alone. In fact, its pretty rare that I will willingly take a day and do things, outside of my home, by myself. I'm not particularly proud of this. I would go so far as to say I'm a little bit ashamed, and definitely envious of people who can do it. There have been plenty of times in my life that I know I have a free day, and have a bunch of things that I could/should do around town. However, what usually happens is that I choose to ignore these things in favor of staying in my house and watching America's Next Top Model reruns online. (Okay, so that's a more recent choice of indoor activity, but you get the idea.)
The point of all this is that I'm envious. I'm envious of those people who CAN and DO go out on their own and get things done, and actually enjoy it. Hell, maybe they're not even getting things done, maybe they're just enjoying a damn day to themselves. I HAVE to learn this. I have to learn to leave my house, bound for wherever, without a companion. And going to work doesn't count.
My good friend Molly is a master of this very thing. Molly does everything by herself from grocery shopping to going out to shows. She's my hero. I'll call her up and ask her how her weekend is going and she'll run off this whole list of things she's been up to. "I went to a party in Brooklyn, and then I baked some cookies, and then I went to a museum, and then I went to this gallery opening I heard about that I thought might be cool..." and so on. Make no mistake, Molly has plenty of friends and companions (because she's the height of awesome), but she doesn't ever seem to feel that she needs them to have herself a perfectly lovely Saturday.

Nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All photos by me unless otherwise noted.