Monday, June 7, 2010

This is How We Live


My good friend Molly and I are launching a new blog project called This is How We Live. I read a lot of girl blogs. The kinds of blogs that are full of vintage clothes I can't get my hands on, art prints I'll never hang, $300 shoes I'll never buy, and home interiors I'll never match; no matter how much I want to.

Let me back up. I've been reading blogs like this for over a year. I stumbled upon one and got sucked right in to the endless stream of girl blogs. I love them. During most of that time I was living in a large house, with five other people, with a shared room. All I could think when I saw a photo of someone's adorable, well decorated apartment was, "oh MAN. I can't wait until I get into a new place! This will be my chance to spruce it up right! Its going to look so good! I have so many ideas!"

The reality though, is that my apartment wound up looking a lot like my last place (well, I'd like to think it looks marginally more stylish.) Its still full of my stuff, and while I was able to add a few newer, nicer things, most of them are more utilitarian than anything else, because I'm not the kind of person who ever really goes online and buys a vintage light up globe to put in the living room, even though I REALLY want one.

This got me thinking about other people my age who's places I've been to. None of them are adorably designed either. None of them are full of cute vintage chatchki's found on etsy. None of their kitchens have cookware rescued from the 70's. At best there are a few of those things scattered here and there. They look like regular apartments. Just like mine.

"This is how we Live" is a collection of photographs, all taken by Molly and I, showcasing people's homes, their bathrooms, their kitchens, the inside of their purses and bags. People like us who don't have the time, the patience, the money, and/or the presence of mind to make their living space as curated as they would like in their fantasies. Or maybe they don't fantasize about that at all, maybe this is just how they live. We want to show what life really looks like, not what it was done up to look like for a photo shoot. Its a little voyeuristic, but who cares?

We'll be posting semi-regularly, with each of us responsible for a new post every month. I'm really excited to be working on a new project, and I think this is going to be really interesting, because really, who doesn't want to see into other people's houses? Go check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All photos by me unless otherwise noted.